If you want to increase the press, strengthen the core muscles of the core, tighten the stomach, flatten it, strengthen the shoulders and gluteal muscles, the board will help.
Is it hard to believe that doing an exercise daily can improve your strength, figure, mood and more? But it is true! This posture has many positive effects on your body. Although it may not be the easiest exercise, doing it regularly will offer you lifelong benefits.
In yoga, the plank position or Phalakasana is a posture for strength development, as it stretches all the large muscles of the torso as well as the shoulders, strengthens the neck, back muscles, buttocks and quadriceps and abs. The board is also known as an isometric stand. It contracts the muscles, forcing them to hold a predetermined position. You stand at the bar and your body works.
This is the most popular exercise in all fitness programs and does not require machines, equipment, free weights and a gym. All you need is your body, your desire and your persistence and you can do it even at home!
The board will help speed up metabolism, improve blood circulation and exercise is suitable for everyone: both beginners and advanced, men and women. You will find this exercise in yoga, pilates, stretching, bodybuilding.
A seemingly simple static exercise just looks like this. After standing at the bar for a minute, you will realize that time does not fly so fast. By the way, the world record is 8 hours, 1 minute and 1 second for men. Women's record - 3 hours 31 minutes. Well, you have something to try. Now for everything in order.
Useful properties of the bar for health and weight loss
Exercise not only tightens the muscles, but also has preventive and therapeutic effects against certain diseases. The result is guaranteed with the systematic application of the exercise. The board is capable of:
- prevention and elimination of the first manifestations of osteochondrosis of the cervical and lumbar spine.
- significantly improve posture.
- relieve pain in the spine.
- stimulating blood circulation;
- speed up metabolism;
- burn calories.
Note that the last two points indicate that this exercise contributes to weight loss.
Which muscles work?
When performing the standard (classic) bar, the following muscles work:
- Straight and transverse abdominal muscles.
- Biceps, triceps, deltoid?
- Lumbar muscles of the lumbar spine.
- Biceps, quadriceps and calves.
- Buttock muscles;
- Back and chest muscles.
- Strengthens the trunk muscles. When trying to build core strength, this posture is most beneficial because it targets all the muscle groups in your abs. . . and you thought there were only abs in the abdomen? The board works not only the abdominal muscles, but also the stabilizing muscles, as well as the lateral abdominal muscles, which are responsible for the position of the hips and the muscles of the spine.
- The muscles become more intense. The board also loads the muscles of the shoulders, chest, legs and back. They will grow up too. The functionality of this pose, combined with the isometric intensity, helps the muscles throughout the body to "dry out" and become more intense.
- Accelerates metabolism. Muscle strength and mass, which increase with proper exercise, have another great property, besides increased strength and good silhouette - an accelerated metabolism! When you increase muscle mass, you speed up your metabolism at rest, which allows you to burn more calories.
- Prevents back pain. As your abdominal muscles get stronger, your body needs to rely less on using your back muscles to maintain your posture. Instead of back muscles, the torso muscles now work, which are used for all exercises and work, which reduces the chance of back pain.
- Your attitude improves. Improving posture is most often achieved by enhancing the health and strength of the back and torso muscles. When you take the plank position, the muscles of the back, neck, shoulders and abdominal muscles work to keep your body organically in place.
- Improved coordination. Isometric posture stimulates the improvement of coordination and balance in general. If you learn how to perform the board skillfully, you will also be able to maintain an upright posture more efficiently and firmly.
- Improves joint and bone health. The board allows you to train with heavy weights, while reducing the unpleasant and negative effects associated with exercises such as running and jumping. When you stand in this position, new living bone is created, which helps build healthier, stronger bones. Physical activity performed during exercise also improves blood circulation to the joints, making them more mobile. Reduces friction.
- Improves mood and reduces stress. The execution of the board, like any other exercise, promotes the release of the neurochemically active compound endorphin. Endorphins improve mood and create a feeling of joy and also help relieve stress. This posture can also relieve tension, as it gives the body a chance to stretch when doing this exercise.
Judging by the number of positives from its application, it is not difficult to understand why it is so popular.
Whether you are just starting out or just adding a minute to your posture, remember that quality is always more important than quantity or duration. Once your posture starts to "collapse", you should stop, take a break and try again the next set or the next day.
Proper execution technique
The algorithm for performing the move is very simple, but nevertheless, be careful in the little things, learn how to stand properly on the bar, the right technique is the key to success.
- Lie on your stomach. Place your elbows on the floor at shoulder height. Place your forearms on the floor. The bent arms must form an angle of 90 degrees. Straighten your legs and now lean on your toes and forearms. The legs can be placed together or spread across the width of the hips. Make sure your elbows are below your shoulders.
- Tighten and straighten your whole body. Your body from head to toe should be in a straight line.
- Do not bend the spine, do not lift the pelvis.
- Tighten the press.
- Breathing is uniform and calm.
There are many varieties of this exercise. But if you master the technique of performing the classic board, then there will be no problems with other options.
- Raise the pelvis above the level of the head. The very position of the bar is violated. What does this lead to? This is the most common mistake. People often feel tempted to lift their hips because this will allow them to hold the posture longer. The problem is that when you lift your hips, most of the load falls on your shoulders and the posture loses its meaning. This error leads to the development of pain in the shoulders and back. Keep your hips in a straight line between your heels and your shoulders.
- Diversion in the area of the cervix. Overloaded neck muscles. When performing, the neck should be kept in a neutral position - the head should neither be lowered nor raised higher. Imagine that both the head and the neck are part of a straight line created by the rest of your body. When your neck is not in this line and your head is up or down, you are more likely to notice pain in your upper back or neck.
- Raising the elbows to the side, connecting the fingers to the lock and lowering the head below the desired level. As a result, the shoulders become less involved, with blood flowing to the head. Holding your hands on top of each other will reduce the effectiveness of the posture. When your hands are held together, the abdominal muscles work less. Always keep your arms open, extending them in a straight line from your elbows, keeping your hands on the floor.
- Diversion in the lower back. If you continue to stand in a posture with such a mistake, you may have problems with your lower back. When you bend your back, the weight of your body stops loading the muscles, on the contrary, the vertebrae and the connections between them hold the load. This mistake can lead to lower back pain. Correct the error by rotating the pelvis slightly. This will make your back straight. It is also useful to tighten the buttocks.
- The hips are very low. If your hips fall too low, then your entire body weight will rest on your lower vertebrae, although your torso muscles will need to function. It seems that it is easier to lean on the back than on the muscles, but then the exercise loses its meaning.
- A rounded back is a sign that your shoulders are crooked. People sometimes make this mistake to make up for a weak torso. The mistake that can easily get your claim denied is to fail. To correct this error, move your shoulders down, away from your ears. The trapezius and lumbar muscles (upper back muscles) must be tightened to avoid rounding the back.
Tips for beginners
Perform the exercise on a yoga mat or towel so that the hard floor does not make your elbows uncomfortable. Before exercising, warm up by stretching or doing a few simple exercises for three minutes. For the first few days, stand at the bar for only 20 seconds. That's enough for a beginner. To facilitate exercise, place your feet hip-width apart.
If even in this position you do not feel confident enough, then do it from your knees.
After a few days, when the muscles become stronger, you complicate the bar from the knees by straightening one leg and holding it in weight. Stay like that for 30 seconds and then change legs. After completing the exercise, we recommend taking balsana - the posture of a child. This will relieve tension and relax the core muscles.
It is possible to become the bar during menstruation
Definitely yes. During the season, you can do many things, especially sports. Some young ladies may use the critical days as an excuse not to study, but to lie on the couch, flipping through the gloss, to buy some cakes. But you will not do it. If during this period you have a catastrophic drop in strength and mood, then it is better to slow down with training. And if the critical days are not so critical for you, then stand on the bar for health.
How long do you need to stand on the bar for weight loss?
Not sure how long you will be holding the board? Hold until you find it difficult to maintain the correct technique or hold it until you feel that your muscles start to ache and your body starts to tremble - then hold it for another 5-10 seconds.
If this is the first time you are in this position and you are standing for 1 minute easily, congratulations. You are in satisfactory physical condition. But if you are completely new to the sport, then you can start with 10 seconds, doing five reps a day. After a while, when the muscles become stronger, do 4 rounds of 30 seconds, increasing the duration of the exercise by 1 second each time.
Remember that the main thing is technique. It is better to stand for 20 seconds in perfect shape than 40 seconds with your lower back arched.
Plank every day, but leave one day a week to rest.
But you have to understand that it all depends on the capabilities of your body. By starting to train and evaluate your strength, you will be able to choose the best option and time and you will stand in this position with health benefits and pleasure.
When it's best to do the weight loss board is up to you. Besides, it is good because it requires nothing but your body and a little space. Exercise can be done in the morning, evening and during the day, but you should not do it immediately after eating and just before bedtime.
How to stay longer on the board
Regular training will allow you to stand at the bar more and more technically. But other points are also important:
- Comfortable shoes and clothes. Make yourself comfortable in that sense. You should not be distracted by the slipped upper shoulder strap or slippery sneakers.
- A fairly soft mat or towel that will allow you to stay in position for longer. After all, the pain of a hard floor, which is felt in the elbow, can make you give up ahead of time.
- Ventilated room. You need oxygen.
- Turn on the music.
- Stay calm, hang up your phone, make sure you do not detach yourself unintentionally.
- Motivate yourself mentally. Words: "My body works, my muscles get stronger, I get more beautiful! " They work great.
- Warm up before exercising.
- Use a timer. When you see the seconds go by, it motivates.
Popular board choices: technique, shades and differences
You need to lean on your toes and forearms. The arms are bent at the elbows at an angle of 90 degrees, the arms are parallel to each other. Your body is a straight line from head to toe. Tighten the muscles of your buttocks and legs. Do not lower your pelvis, raise or lower your head. Breathing is uniform.
Full or straight arms
Straighten your arms and raise your hips, keeping your hands on the floor. This board may even seem easier to some people who have a more developed upper body. This variety will make the shoulders more stable than the classic. The fingers should be open and the middle finger pointing straight ahead. Rotate the inside of your elbow forward to engage your biceps.
Lie on your right side, placing your feet on top of each other. Place your lower right elbow just below your right shoulder and lift your thigh off the floor to create a straight line. You should feel tension in the waist area. Stretch your left arm toward the ceiling or place it on your left thigh. Hold this position for a few seconds and then repeat the same with the other, left side of the body. If you feel that one side of your body is stronger than the other, keep doing the same number of repetitions on each side to make them just as strong.
Sideways with leg lift
When you can hold the sideboard for a minute, you can try this variant. Stand on a side plank position and, holding the position, lift your upper leg a few inches off the floor and then stretch your muscles, controlling the movement of your leg, lowering it backwards. Do 10 repetitions and then repeat on the other side.
Slopes with lowered hips
Stand on a sideboard, lower your pelvis without touching the floor, and then return to the starting position. What does it give? Increased load at an angle.
Full leg lift
Start in a full board position, resting your hands on the floor and keeping your hips and abs tight. Raise one leg high, squeezing your buttocks. Hold your foot in the air for a few seconds, then move to the other foot and do the same. It is not necessary to lift your legs too high, it is important to stretch them away from you. Do 10 reps with each leg.
Sit on the floor. Put your hands on the floor, taking them back a little. Lift your pelvis. The palms should be firmly below the shoulders. Opara on the palms and heels. Tighten your body, it should form a straight line.
We make the classic board, but we lift the legs with the help of a fitball. The ball is kicked out of play.
Army or dynamics
Start from the basic plank position with your forearms on the floor. Now, pressing first with your right hand and then with your left, move to a full board position. After that, lower yourself back to the base position, starting again on the right side. Do 10 reps on each side - 10 reps on the right and then 10 reps on the left.
Rock climber or knee pull
Start in a full board position, then tighten your abdominal muscles and pull your right knee toward your chest using your lower abdominal muscles. Return the right leg to the starting position and repeat the exercise for the left leg. Continue to repeat the exercise with both knees 20-30 times. You can do it fast or slow, the main thing is the right technique, because it is more important than speed.
With alternating touches on the shoulders
Start in a full board position, keeping your hips as stable as possible. Reach with your right hand on your left shoulder. Return your right hand to its original position, then touch your right shoulder with your left hand. Keep repeating this exercise 20-30 times.
But now that you know a lot more about the bar than before, you ask, how many pounds can you lose weight with the help of exercise? The answer may disappoint you, but if you do not create a calorie deficit in your diet, then even this 30-day fat burning program will not help you lose weight. It will help strengthen the muscles, will make them stronger. If you want to lose weight, start burning more calories than you consume. A simple math rule works for weight loss: if more has been lost than lost, all the excess goes to body fat. I wish we could learn how to save money the way our body stores fat! Execute the board by combining it with these tips:
Useful tips for training and weight loss
- Eat eggs for breakfast. Eating eggs in the morning has many positive properties, one of which is the accelerated weight loss. If you replace the bread that many people eat for breakfast with eggs, then you will lose more calories and fat for that day and you will be better fed.
- Drink coffee (preferably black). Coffee contains a huge amount of antioxidants and has many health benefits. Caffeine contained in a cup of coffee speeds up metabolism by 3-11%. But sugar or other high-calorie ingredients should not be added to coffee, as this completely removes its benefits.
- Eliminate hidden sugar from your diet. Sugar is one of the most harmful ingredients in the current human diet. Many people consume too much sugar. Studies have shown that both sugar and fructose syrup are associated with a higher risk of obesity, as well as diabetes and other cardiovascular diseases. If you want to lose weight, remove sugar from your diet. Pay attention to the labels on the packaging, even the so-called "healthy" foods can contain a lot of sugar.
- Eat less processed carbs. Processed or processed carbohydrates are found in pasta and white bread. These carbohydrates are usually made from cereals that have all other nutrients removed, such as proteins and fats. These types of carbohydrates cause spikes in insulin levels. Increases in insulin stimulate hunger and the desire to eat something sweet. Processed carbohydrates are closely linked to obesity. If you're going to eat no carbs at all, then eat whole, natural fiber.
- Portion control. Portion control or calorie counting is very useful. Counting calories at each meal helps motivate you to lose weight. Anything that allows you to learn more about your food will be helpful.
- Eat more protein. Protein is the most important thing for weight loss. Eating protein-rich foods speeds up the metabolism and allows it to burn 100 more calories a day. At the same time, the food itself contains 400 fewer calories than you would normally consume. You will also lose the desire to eat at night and the craving for sweets.
- Add whey protein to your diet. If you have difficulty adding enough protein to your diet, start taking a protein supplement to get enough protein.
- Eat "real" food. If you want to be a healthy person, you have to go completely into a whole food menu. These foods make you full, it is difficult to overeat and it is very difficult to gain weight with such a diet if most of your food is not processed.
Example of daily diet
- Breakfast: 2 slices of wholemeal toast + 2 boiled eggs + hot sauce (optional)
- Snack: 1 cup berries, blackberries, for example + a handful of nuts.
- Lunch: 100 g salmon + avocado + 1 wholemeal bread + 1 glass of greens.
- Afternoon snack: broccoli and cauliflower + 2 tablespoons yogurt without sugar.
- Dinner: 130 g lean steak + boiled carrots + Brussels sprouts + 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- And in the evening (probably for an hour) 150 g of cottage cheese (of course, without sugar).
What else can you do to lose weight faster?
Aerobic exercise (cardio) is a great way to burn calories and improve your physical and mental health. Cardio is particularly effective in removing belly fat, the unhealthy fat that builds up around the organs and causes disease.
This will speed up your metabolism and prevent you from losing muscle mass. Of course, it is important not only to lose fat, but also to gain muscle mass. Therefore, strength training is essential.
High intensity interval training
By not spending too much time on exercise, you will speed up your metabolism, increase your endurance and burn extra calories.
The board develops a sense of balance and trains willpower and character. You stand on it every day for a few seconds more and do not let yourself give up, you build your character and you become stronger. Maybe this exercise is the beginning for a beautiful, athletic body that you will be proud of.